Friday, 13 May 2022

Next Level?

Blog Post #1

Celebrities are constantly under the ridicule of the public eye. So much so, that it makes me wonder: Do we hold celebrities to a higher standard than others?

Personally, I believe they are unfairly held to a higher standard. We expect them to be perfect and happy all the time. At times, we can forget that they are also human. I think that the higher expectations placed on celebrities put them under a lot of stress, and honestly, we shouldn't treat celebrities to such a standard. Yes, they are public figures that need to be held accountable, but they should also be able to live freely like the rest of us. Sometimes, celebrities would face backlash for unimportant things, like not liking another famous person, and some people make it into a big deal. It sounds exhausting. 

Will Smith Slapping Chris Rock at the Oscar's (From New York Times)

Will Smith slapped Chris Rock at the Oscars for making a joke about Will's wife. I don't think that Chris Rock should've made that G.I. Jane 2 joke. It is known that Jada Pinkett Smith has alopecia and suffers from hair loss. It was disrespectful. But, Will Smith shouldn't have slapped him, even if he deserved it. 

I can't think of an incident in real life where a celebrity behaved out of expectation, but I can think of an example that happened in a drama called "It's Okay to not be Okay". In episode 2 of the series, a popular children's book author, Ko Munyeong, swore and grabbed the hair of a man that was interrupting her signing event. Her actions resulted in her newly released book being recalled and heavy backlash from the public. 

Celebrities should be held accountable when they act poorly. Celebrities shouldn't be treated differently just because they are celebrities. They should be held accountable, just like regular people. For example, if a celebrity commits a crime, they shouldn't be pardoned because they are famous. 

Overall, I think that both parties were wrong in this situation. Chris Rock shouldn't have made that joke and Will Smith shouldn't have hit him. In my opinion, the Oscars this year were not that interesting for me. The award show is only interesting to watch when something unexpected happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Review: She's Dating the Gangster

Blog #4 Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla (from Vocal Media) Released in 2014, “She’s Dating the Gangster” is a romantic comedy starring P...